Thursday, December 3, 2009

Thanksgiving

So, as it turns out, I cant even have Thanksgiving with my family without thinking about this Women's Studies class. One huge thing I noticed about Thanksgiving was that only the women cooked... AND CLEANED. My family isn't very big; it consists of my grandparents, aunt, uncle, cousin, mom and stepdad. So, there are 3 men and 5 women. I guess that may be part of it. But even though my grandma has been sick, she still cooks. I know she is set in her ways and thinks it's easier for her to cook than to try to explain to my grandfather exactly how to do everything, but I also feel like that is an excuse. At times, I think my grandpa plays dumb. I feel like this is true in society as well. I think sometimes, men pretend not to know how to do common household chores (i.e.: laundry, loading the dishwasher, etc...) so that they can get out of doing these tasks. WHY IS THIS OKAY?? I have noticed it with my mom and stepdad as well. She seems to ALWAYS be the one making dinner. I feel like the only way men will cook is if there is a grill involved--- and why is that anyways? What is men's obsession with a grill?! (Sorry, I got a little off-track).

Back to what I was saying. We had a huge thanksgiving meal, and not one single thing was made by any of the men in the family. The thing that made me the most mad, though, was that all 5 of us were in the kitchen getting everything ready, and my grandma says "Ok, make your grandpa a plate!" I literally asked her if she was joking, and then told my grandpa to fix his own plate. I told him he would be the talk of my Women's Studies class, but instead, I'll just turn this circumstance into a blog. I just dont understand why things are this way. The more I realize it, every dinner we have ever had is this way. It's just not right. It makes me so mad!.... especially when I had to do the dishes afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment