Monday, December 14, 2009

Women Not Immune to PTSD

While I was on CNN.com, I came accross an article entitled "Women not immune to PTSD." Of course, now being the aware feminist I am as a result of this class, I had to click on it. In the article, they interview June Moss, who is a veteran of Kosovo, went back to Iraq in 2003. At the beginning of the video, they describe her experience and Campbell Brown says, "She was scared everyday." Immediately, red lights flashed in my mind. Would she have said that if she were interviewing a man? I doubt it. Basically, the article was about how women are susceptible to Post Traumatic Stress Disorder just as men are. DUH! We're both human! I also noticed a lot of attention was paid to the fact that she distanced herself from her family and could was no longer interested in shopping. I highly doubt that they would point out the fact that a man was no longer interested in shopping after coming back from Iraq. I just feel it's odd that they needed to write a story on the fact that women are just like men and experience the same thing men do. That seems like common sense to me.
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2009/12/14/brown.band.of.sisters.ptsd.cnn

No comments:

Post a Comment